Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Zen and the Art of Selling Real Estate

"Service is the lifeblood of any organization.
Everything flows from it and is nourished by it.
Customer Service is not a department...It is an attitude.
It was about 30 years ago when I first came across 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values'. It is Robert M. Pirsig's first text in which he explored his theory of metaphysics and reality. Reading it then reconfirmed a belief instilled in me by my father...Everything you think, you are. This mantra has become part of the fiber of my being and is reflected in everything I do; including and very importantly, my work.
I don't know if there ever was a text written, 'Zen and The Art of Selling Real Estate' specifically, but that practice of keeping good thoughts has never been more needed or more important than it is now...
Today's real estate agents face more challenges than ever before...Therefore, keeping lofty thoughts, speaking positive affirmations, and maintaining an optimistic outlook while being receptive and open to communicate with each seller and buyer as they need us to has become the "value" of customer service: The customer is always right...the customer always comes first. This is the true value of selling real estate. The relationships we have taken the time to nurture and build...this is the truest measure of our success.
Just the other day I received a phone call from a very frustrated seller. A lot of today's sellers are frustrated. He and his wife are two of my most favorite customers. They have bought and sold several properties from us over the years. They are kind, and loyal, and easy to work with...after several moments of conversation he said to me, "Michele, you have such a calming voice." It was such a nice thing for him to say and it reminded me yet again how very important it is to stay in that positive place. Reacting to a person's frustrations, making excuses, defending the market...none of this works. What sellers and buyers need is knowledge and honesty about the market...but mostly the want is a "calming voice"...
Yes, a lot has happened in the world since Mr. Pirsig first wrote about the zen approach to maintaining a motorcycle, but his theory isn't science afterall, is it? It's just the truth...Everything you think, you are--And I think I am the luckiest person in the world to have made so many friends in my 29 years of selling real estate here in Naples, Florida. Relationships is what it is all about. That is my value...and everything else always falls into place...
Thank you,
The Naples Real Estate Blogger
*re-posted in part from an earlier blog post by michele peppe.

No comments:

Post a Comment